Life has never been better. I’m 27 days into my new lifestyle and I’ve lost a whole toddler in weight! Yes, a toddler worth of weight. I’m surprisingly happy, healthy and excited about the future.
In 27 days (basically since black friday), I have lost 33 pounds. That averages out to 1.2 pounds per day and 1/3 of the way towards my goal. About a week ago, I hit a plateau. I was stuck, for a week, at 310. In the midst of that, I discovered that apparently drinking orange juice, though vegan, was not contributing to my health goals. I read up on the Nutarian diet and learned about some tweaks to make. After some prayers and patience, my weight began to drop again. I’m now 304 and feeling so happy about it.
What am I eating?
I spent like $100 on food from costco. Tons of veggies, lots of frozen stuff. I’ve been blasting through fresh veggies. My goal is to eat 1 pound a day of fresh / raw veggies, 1 pound a day of cooked veggies, 1 cup of grains and 1 tablespooon of seeds. This is a lot of chewing… A LOT OF CHEWING!!
My day to day diet looks like this:
- Get up between 7 and 8 am, make coffee, spend time with the baby and try to remember to take meds (anti depressants) with a liter of water
- Sometime between 9 and 10 make the baby breakfast, either cook a cup of quinoa or half a cup of oatmeal. If I have oatmeal, put a tablespoon of sugar on top, some berries and flax milk. Quinoa will typically just get berries and flax milk.
- Lunch, if I’m home, is typically either a soup (Sweet potato curry is my current favorite) or salad
- Dinner, if I’m home, has been a wide array of options: soups, salads, steamed veggies, noodles, tofu, rice, beans, mexican, curry and tacos
- Snacks, generally I eat 1-2 apples, 2-3 cuties, a few fist fulls of carrot sticks, celery, some hummus, some gauc, and sometimes a baked potato
I’m lazy. I don’t like to cook all the time, mostly because I’m lazy. I could cook and it would be better, but alas I’ve found I can eat vegan while being healthy (plant based), while eating out.
Here’s what I’ve found:
- Noodles & Company, you can get something like pad thai or other noodles, get the rice noodles with some veggies. This is pretty tasty
- Chipotle, the easiest, is to get a bowl or salad, brown rice, both beans, sofritas, veggies, pico and gauc. This is yummu.
- Mad Greens, custom build a salad and have them toss on quinoa, tofu and some light dressing
- R-Taco, get the vegetarian tacos with no cheese
Am I eating enough?
Yes. I’m eating like, all the time. I have NOT stopped mid night snacking, infact its 1:37 am as I write this (I’m a night owl), and I just raided the kitchen for a cutie, strawberries, carrot sticks and some mushrooms (the plant, not the drug!). I had 3 tacos with chips and salsa for lunch. I ate a bunch of oatmeal.
I’m pleasantly full but not stuffed. I’m getting a load of vitamins and minerals, I’m also getting omega 3s through a Flax supplement and a bunch of goodies from some twice a day vitamins. I eat when I’m hungry, which sometimes feels like all the time. I have increased my water intake which also helps so much.
Other then oatmeal and the two hot cocoas I’ve made this season (Hot cocoa vegan: 1 tablesppon chocolate baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar, a splash of flax milk and some boiling water; stirred), I consume no sugar. I had a sip of my wife’s sweet today from R-Taco today, I wanted to vomit after sipping it. That much sugar is gross.
Tomorrow is Christmas and today we go see my family. I’m not going to eat sweets, crazy dishes or animal products. I CAN DO THIS, I WILL DO THIS. I’m making to much headway to quit now. the Standard American Diet is NO LONGER the Standard Adam Diet. It’s done, I’m done. I’m going Vegan (plant based, whole food) for LIFE. This is a death sentence for my old way of eating, I’m not going to go back except for “RARE and approperiate” reasons.